Flosc 2, and new OSC AS3 Classes

January 24, 2010

There’s a new version of Flosc and the OSC AS3 classes courtesy of Nacho. yes i know, i’m well behind the times, but i’ve had a few other projects on that didn’t really apply to this blog.

Go and grab all the new bits and pieces over at code.google.com/p/flosc/

I had a little trouble with the new flosc java server on snow leopard, in that the gui didn’t display properly (i think you’re meant to be able to specify the port numbers via the interface), but apart from that everything seems cool. the AS3 classes are certainly more streamlined than my bodged together versions.

good work Nacho!


Getting FLOsc Up and Running…

February 19, 2009

I had a few problems get FLOsc running in Windows XP, due to some problems with java classpaths or something. What Sun had to say didn’t work for me, but thanks anyway. I ended up having to set it manually every time, which isn’t such a hassle as you can write a .bat file to launch FLOsc.

Your .bat file wants to look something like this…

set classpath=c:\program~1\flosc\;.;
cd\progra~1\flosc\

java Gateway 10000 57117

with your classpath being wherever you keep flosc, but don’t miss the extra .; . 57117 is the default port that Occam uses, and you can send OSC messages to Flash on port 10000. Obviously you can use whichever ports you like.

In OS X, I didn’t have any such troubles. Just write a script very similar to the one above minus the classpath line, save it as flosc.command (for example). Then open terminal, type cd followed by the  file path, followed by

chmod 755 flosc.command

to make it executable. Now you can just double click it to run FLOsc.
On to the fun stuff…


FLOsc AS3 Classes

February 19, 2009

So Adam over at DustyPixels.com, author of the Fwiidom FLOsc AS3 classes, has very kindly said  I can do what I like with them.

You can get my modified version of his classes here (Update: download here) (Update: Finally found a more permanent home)

I really didn’t do much to them, except Occam seems to expect an integer instead of a string at some point, so I poked around in the function that builds the XML packets to send to FLOsc and changed an ‘s’ to an ‘i’. I also added a little debug feature as I got a little bored with my output panel being flooded with text, and made the output traces a little more readable. I’ll talk about how to use this in the coming tutorial.

Thanks Adam…
Thadam.